Friday, January 4, 2013

Irons in the Fire

I have many irons in the proverbial fire. Don't we all? How many do you have?

For me, there's the family. I'm always worried about how they are doing. Will May get into the Coast Guard Academy AIM program this summer? How is Sam doing in his first year of High School? Will Jeremie get to keep his desk with the other kids? Will Sherri be okay with her business? Then there's Laura, how is she feeling? Still sick, all better? Addam and his college load and music career and his family. All these questions and more will be answered in the next "Days of Our Lives". Cue music...

That was just the family.

Then there's work. Both jobs. Oh, and that third one, NurseNoggin.

How is my mom doing? How's my great aunt?

Oh, and the bills, and the dogs, the Bearded Dragon, the tile flooring project (yes, still unfinished), the holes in the walls and ceilings, the shed roof, the trailer wheel bearings, May's bug.... You get the picture.

Unfortunately, the things I consider "my projects" are like extracurricular activities. These are things I deem worthy causes, but somehow, with how busy life is and how tight finances are, they fall to the side. They are still irons, we all have them, but they are wasting away, being burned by the fire while the others are being shaped. For me these things are writing, St Baldricks, and Haiti.

I'm sure you have your own list. This is the thing. As soon as you take that iron out of the fire, it starts to lose heat. You hammer on it, bend it, then have to return it to the fire. Out comes the next one. Back in it goes. Your time is the heat and there's only so much of it in a day. You have to prioritize.

It is so hard to enjoy life when the things that make you happy aren't getting the kind of attention you would just love to give them. 

For me, I am going to focus on getting the things done, iron formed and finished, that haunt me when I am trying to enjoy this life. The small, unfinished projects, the floor, drywall, and the shed. Then I can truly enjoy the things that bring me contentment: my family, writing, raising awareness and funds for childhood cancer and for Haiti.

I challenge you to lighten your load, as I lighten mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment