Saturday, January 5, 2013

Don't Do It For Praise

I am uncomfortable receiving praise. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it, but I usually don't go seeking it.

I can see how what I do is appreciated. I can, but to me, it is my calling. To take care of families in times of need is something I enjoy doing and get satisfaction from. I realize this is not for everyone. I hurt for the ones that are hurting, but I try to not let it affect me so much so that I can't do my job.

I do get something out of this, and not just a paycheck. I get some fulfillment, some joy, some peace, and some satisfaction in taking care of these sick kids and their families. I consider it an honor to be let into their lives, many times at their most vulnerable. I have a deep respect for them and I have learned many lessons. Here's a few:

-Don't forget to tell people you love them, even if you are temporarily angry with them.

-Realize that life is hard for others, even when you can't see it on the outside.

-There's never too much of a good thing, especially laughter and face to face visits. Chocolate and bacon as well.

-Hugs are almost always welcome.

-There's nothing worth being angry over for too long. Most times, people didn't mean to hurt you, give the benefit of the doubt.

So, you see, I feel I get just as much as I put in, if not more.  So, whatever you do, don't do it for the praise. If you do, and it doesn't come, you just did it for the wrong reason. Do whatever you do for the love of it, for the fulfillment of it, because your soul would weep if you didn't.

This post is kind of short, I do plan to get all of these lessons down with examples. Watch for that in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment