Monday, October 21, 2013

Depression vs. Introspection

As many of you know, I asked a lot of questions about myself and my thought process in my previous post. Yeah, I do that. Most of the time it is therapy for me to get it out of my head, read it, then tell myself to get on with this thing called life. That is exactly what that last post did for me. Well, that and a few others. It prompted some of you to reach out to me and share from your own lives very vulnerable struggles and experiences.

I so appreciate all of you. In being true to the original purpose of this blog, I am fascinated by the similarities we all share. We've all have dark moments, moments of doubt, moments of not knowing who your friends are, moments of wondering if you truly are a good person. I have had those times. You have as well. When you lay in bed, and it's quiet, sometimes those thoughts rattle the chains that you thought were holding them back. Is this depression, as some of you have hinted at, or is it healthy introspection? I chose to let it be a healthy introspection.

A friend sent me a list of what it is to be clinically depressed. Yes, I asked her for it, and since she is getting into the field of psychology, I thought she would be a terrific resource. She is, by the way, also one of my best friends. I am happy to report that I do not experience any of those items on the list. Yes, I feel weighted down sometimes (who doesn't?) and I feel bah-humbug about the holidays (I am finding people do feel that way). The point is, I'm not depressed. I am, however, introspective. I like to look into what makes people, myself included, tick. Why we behave like we do, why we respond to certain situations in different ways, etc.

I have come up with my own psychology model: People behave in a certain way because it works for them, and they will stop behaving in that way once it stops working for them. How does this apply to my own introspective questions? Obviously, because it works for me. I have negative thoughts about myself because if I let me love myself, I will have to accept myself. Think about it: If I accept myself, then I must accept the bad with the good. I must say that it's okay to let people down once in a while, to not always communicate appropriately, to not have a six figure income, to not have my app idea be hugely successful (which reminds me, I gotta work on that sucker!). I have to be okay with failure. I don't have to accept failure, or hurting others, but I must accept that I am capable of it. This whole concept of trying to look perfect is THE fool's errand! I chose to not let this negativity work for me and accept myself for who I am, always striving to be batter, but knowing that I WILL fall, but I will pick myself up and KEEP GOING!

Look around at your own sphere of influence. Your personal impact on this world. Look at those who have influenced you and pick out the three that are perfect, that never made a mistake. Can't think of three, try two. Can't find two, how about one. Right! No one is perfect! How much respect do you have for the people in your life that have flaws, that admit their failures and press on? I for one, have a ton of respect for those that can admit their weaknesses and failures but still press on!

My grandfather is one example of someone who made mistakes and pushed on. As a child I thought this man could do no wrong. I can still his voice say "Stevie,...." whenever he addressed me. Everyone loved him, his house was immaculate, his garden lush, his garage organized. Everyone that met him fell in love with him and he "adopted" many into our family. But the night before he passed, I laid in bed next to him and he basically told me "Don't ever get so involved with Church or other good activities and neglect your children." He went on to tell me how much he failed as a father to his son, my uncle, David. How he pushed him away, how he beat him with a switch in the woodshed for the slightest of offenses, all while being a deacon at church. He was so ashamed of that part of his life, that when he realized it, it was too late to change it for his son, but he did change. He became a very gentle, loving man, so much so that I had a hard time believing his story. My mom backed up his story later. He was my hero before this story, but he became a superhero by his vulnerability and how he changed.

I respect people who are real with me. I know I have let some of you down in the past, I probably will in the future, just so you are prepared. One thing I will tell you: if you do feel like you may be clinically depressed, go see a doctor. There are a lot of treatment options. If you are just feeling introspective, join the human race and lets do this thing together!

Much love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment