Thursday, January 2, 2014

Off Facebook Living

(Disclaimer: this is not me being on Facebook; I will not see any comments unless you post them on the blog)

My off Facebook experiment is only in its second day and already I'm feeling some deep emotions, the first of which is curiosity.

I am curious as to what is going on in my friends' lives. What, if anything, people are saying about me. Or to me. 

I feel also that I may not be seen, or my thoughts heard. I see things I would have taken pictures of and posted them, checking for likes and comments. I find I'm taking less pictures already.
I think of philosophical, catchy, or interesting things and I'm left to contemplate them on my own, or with those I'm with.

Another strong feeling I have is freedom. I'm not tied to checking for notifications every few minutes, if I'm being honest. Its no wonder some friends and family are riding me about how they'll see me in a week (on facebook), I mean hey, this is Steve we're talking about. So while a part of me is wanting to do this to spite them, a majority of my will comes from wanting to be disciplined and work on my book; well, really to write in general.

By the way, I miss you all! Even Randy.

So, Steve, how's that going being off Facebook? Thanks for asking. It's going, which is awesome! I spent time on the First working on the outline of the story. Outlining is hard for me, but it is so important for a story this complex. Today, I bounced ideas off my favorite critic, my daughter May.

So, why did I choose Facebook to be what I cut out of my diet? I did it for a few reasons. One which really stuck out was how much time I spent on it. I could be writing. Or reading, and not just posts or memes. As good of a reason that is, it really pales in comparison to the value of reminding me to use that time to write, to outline, to develop, to research. When I get the urge to press the "f" on my phone, I open the "notepad" and jot down thoughts, scenes, backgrounds instead.

I'll try to keep those interested in my progress on this blog. Subscribe if you would like.

3 comments: